Friday, October 23, 2009

October storm chasing

Today I awoke to the sound of rain on the roof top. One of my favorite things to wake up to. A friend Kirk and I had been planning for a mountain bike ride today. While making breakfast and watching the rain continue to cascade down, Kirk called, the words "rain-check" were thrown out. I'm not one to twist arms too often, but if it's for a good cause I'm all about it. This storm we're having is a pretty warm one and they only get colder from here on out. I called Kirk and told him what a beautiful day this is in the Pacific Northwest. (He just moved here from Utah, and grew up on the East coast.) I was prepared to throw down the East coast/ West coast poo slingin to seal the deal, but I didn't have to. He got excited about it and we made plans to meet up and ride.

Both of us opted for the full gore-tex suit, the rain was not letting up. I borrowed a 26er stumpjumper fully to try out from the bike shop. I hadn't ridden a full suspendo bike for years and I was stoked to rally this thing around in the mud for a few hours. WOW, it completely rekindled my flame for the 26 inch wheels. There is still a place for them. For sure. The bike just loves to leave the ground when you want it to, but the suspension keeps everything tight and ON the ground when you need it to. I also felt like two wheel drifting was way easier to do with the small wheels. And so much fun! You can do it with the big wheels but it's a bit more dire trying to get them to hook back up, while the 2-6 wheels are incredibly predictable. ok, enough bike gabbin.

The ride was absolutely superb. We headed out to Galbraith Mountain (although it's really a hill by standards of the West). Kirk showed me a super sweet loop that he's been doing. It was so fun, going down trails that I normally come up. The bike absolutely ripped, along with Kirk and myself. We didn't see anyone the whole day! Bummer so many people missed out on the stellar conditions.



Thanks for the ride Kirk!

The highlight of the ride would have to be rolling back down Galbraith lane and seeing a box and apples with a sign above that read, "Free Apples: have one, have some. hand picked. Enjoy!" We were in heaven. Mother nature and some beautiful person decided to share some incredible apples with hungry mountain bikers? Nothing could have been more perfect. The apples were enjoyed thoroughly, seasoned to taste with mud/grit from the surrounding country side.


Wishes granted! We definitely enjoyed some!


Sweet nectar for the tired body

Apple monster?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Nice to know at least a couple more pounds of sweet crisp crunch was kept from the maggots. Just picked some of the season's last figs here: whipped roasted yam spiced with cinnamon,nutmeg,and nutritional yeast, then a puree of fresh fig and coconut milk poured on the top, some fresh walnuts on the top of it all. Tasty! Have you and Deanna cracked your nuts yet?

Patrick said...

Oh yeah! We cracked those nuts! they're great.

You seem to have a way with figgy goodness. and nutritional yeast. by the way, nutritional yeast in oatmeal with only vanilla rice milk. Not so great...

Anonymous said...

Patrick,
Yeah,it's the combo of the nut. yeast and PB, banana will work too. A post of the fig dish will be forthcoming.
-Alex

Anonymous said...

Patrick,
Will there be a post and story with pics from your recent MTB ride, kooky rednecks and good trail sound like excellent fodder for a post.

Patrick said...

Alex

Yes! post-creation-process has been initiated, but I'm tired, I hope by tomorrow night there'll be some good stuff, maybe I'll finish it in the morning, this time change is great for relaxing mornings.